Monday, April 16, 2007

Jackie Robinson Day

Yesterday was Jackie Robinson Day, you know if you didn't see the 4 billion bits on Sports Center about it or if you didn't know why everyone was wearing No. 42 during all MLB games.

I think the most interesting side story going into the day was the dwindling number of African-Americans playing the sport today. Apparently it isn't as cool as playing basketball or football. Seems some people think that Jackie would be upset by this. I don't think so. I don't think Jackie just opened the door in baseball for African-Americans, but for all minorities. I think he would be happy to see the wide range of ethnicities that play baseball today and the popularity the sport is gaining all over the world. Plus, the wide range of African American coaches (which was Jackie's final gripe with the major leagues).

Plus, I'm sure all the festivities pissed the hell out of Jeff Kent and Mike Mussina. Oh, the racism is killing me.

No comments: