The Mets traded Lastings Milledge today to the Nationals in exchange for catcher Brian Schneider and outfielder Ryan Church. Yes, you read correctly; the Mets traded a 22 year old, high-ceiling outfield prospect for one of the worst regulars in baseball (Schneider) and a good #4 or #5 outfielder (Church).
Whether you want to believe it was because of some perceived attitude problem, or Schneider's exaggerated defensive reputation, or some infatuation with Church, the Mets made an awful trade.
However, in the grand scheme of things, it was not the worst choice on earth; in fact, I thought of a few worse potential choices:
1) Hiring Michael Vick as your dog-sitter
2) Mentioning "Billy Beane" or "Moneyball" in front of Joe Morgan.
3) Challenging Bartolo Colon to a pie-eating contest.
4) Trying to get Brett Hull to talk about something besides, well, Brett Hull.
5) Playing "Guitar Hero" with Joel Zumaya.