Sunday, December 2, 2007

Podge Belgian Imperial Stout - Two Thumbs Up

So I'm a bit of a beer nerd; my wife went into Boston yesterday, and I had asked her to pick up a few bottles of Rogue, Chimay, Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, and others that you generally can't get around my house. One of her friends suggested Podge Belgian Imperial Stout; upon trying it last night, I found a new beer to add to my list of favorites.

It came in a single, 11.2 ounce bottle, with an alcohol content of 10.5%. The first thing I noticed was a light smell of chocolate. I was prepared for a taste much like the chocolate stouts I have tried previously, but here the chocolate taste was more subtle, with an unexpected kick of carbonation. The sugar used added to the sweetness and the finish, but I did not find it overpowering by any means.

I have to admit, the carbonation took a couple of sips to get used to, but that did not take away from any of the enjoyment. If you're not used to strong brews, this may not be a good first beer to try, but experienced beer drinkers should pick up a bottle.

No comments: