Monday, May 7, 2007

The Clemens post

As the Yankees fan on this blog, I suppose I am obligated to comment on the Clemens signing, so here goes:

- The theatre of the whole thing was well planned. These days, with the speed of the internet and intrepid bloggers, there are very few secrets in sports, and baseball in particular. Many of the trades and signings that occur are known hours or days in advance. Not here; while many people thought it was likely that Clemens would sign with the Yankees, by no means was it certain, even with the team's obvious starting pitching troubles.

- Am I excited that Clemens is back? Well, I guess it depends on your definition of the word. I'm a baseball history geek, so having the best pitcher of this generation (or maybe any other generation) on my favorite team's pitching staff is great. Plus, the fact that he'll be replacing the Chase Wright's of the world is nice. There's a little bit of worry on my part about how much this will hold back Philip Hughes when he gets back from the DL, but overall I'm positive in this regard.

But, am I truly out-of-my-mind happy about this? Not really; I would call it more of a guarded optimism. Will this make the Yankees rotation any less fragile? Will a 6-inning starter put any less strain on an already-overworked bullpen?

No, of course not. I'm happy about the addition, but it isn't a cure-all.

No comments: