Friday, May 4, 2007

Movie Review: Hot Fuzz


Let me start by saying that Shaun of the Dead is one my favorite movies of the past few years. Best Romantic Comedy Zombie movie ever, no joke. Plus I've seen a few episodes of Spaced on the interwebs and I really wish that they would release it on a DVD set in the states so I can actually watch the whole series.


So on to the movie. I guess everyone is saying whether they liked it better than Shaun of the Dead. I did not. Not to say that it isn't hilarious and enjoyable, but I just got a kick out of SotD that I didn't get here. Doesn't mean I won't buy on DVD though when it comes out.


The jokes in this one were a little more subtle and I did enjoy the mix of the absurd action movie with the small British village comedy. You could really tell Simon Pegg has a sincere love for action movies and all the utterly insane things that happen in them but make little sense. I guess my two qualms with the movie are the following:


1.) The editing: I get what they are going for with the quick cuts and the sweeping camera movements, but to be honest it got old after the first few times. Cute joke, but it was pissing the hell out of me by the end.


2.) The middle lagged a little: They probably could have cut 20 minutes out of the movie and it would have still worked.


Fix those and I think everything would have clicked a little better. In the end though I think Simon Pegg's line after watching Point Blank really sums things up nicely:


"Well, I wouldn't argue that that was a no-holds-barred, adrenalin fuelled thrill ride, but there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork."


Fuck yeah.



No comments: