Monday, March 12, 2007

My Probably Crappy Fantasy Baseball Team

So, my fantasy baseball draft was last night, and I amazingly did little to no research. I picked up a magazine to leaf through on Saturday, but that was more out of sheer boredom than research. I figure that this year's team can't be much worse than my team from last year. Last year, I drafted Derrek Lee first and he went on to break his wrist and destroy my dreams along with the dreams of a bunch of dudes with popped collars who drink beer and sunbathe at Wrigley.

My whole goal this year was two fold. First, I will not take anyone who came out of nowhere to have an awesome season last year (I'm looking in your direction Bronson "Rockstar" Arroyo). Second, I wanted to take younger players who might not have a proven track record but were also less likely to get hurt (Allah willing). Pretty simple right?

Of course nothing is as simple as it sounds. To start with, I showed up late due to a viewing of 300 (review coming later) and already got autodrafted my first four picks. The computer didn't hurt me, actually since I had the 12th and last pick, I probably did a bit better and closer to what I wanted getting autodrafted. Below is my team:


Lidle's Co-Pilots (Admit it, you love the name)
C
Paul Lo Duca
(NYM - C)
1B
Justin Morneau
(Min - 1B)
2B
Plácido Polanco
(Det - 2B)
3B
Miguel Cabrera
(Fla - 3B)
SS
Orlando Cabrera
(LAA - SS)
OF
Matt Holliday
(Col - OF)
OF
Hideki Matsui
(NYY - OF)
OF
Coco Crisp
(Bos - OF)
Util
David Wright
(NYM - 3B)
BN
Michael Cuddyer
(Min - 1B,OF)
BN
Aubrey Huff
(Bal - 3B,OF)
BN
Jeremy Hermida
(Fla - OF)
BN
Khalil Greene
(SD - SS)
Jered Weaver
(LAA - SP)
SP
Chris Capuano
(Mil - SP)
RP
B.J. Ryan
(Tor - RP)
RP
Scot Shields
(LAA - RP)
P
Derek Lowe
(LAD - SP)
P
Ted Lilly
(ChC - SP)
P
José Contreras
(CWS - SP)
BN
Aaron Heilman
(NYM - RP)


Granted, not all of them are spring chickens, but I like what I have. A couple of them had season destroying injuries last year (Coco and Hidikei) and I think they will come back in a big way. I'm not totally sold on my pitching staff, especially after learning that Weaver is going to miss a few starts at the beginning of the season. So I went out and picked up Nate Robertson.

So, I will probably finish last again. Damn you Corey Lidle.

No comments: